Exploring the volcanic massif of Jbel Siroua in the saffron growing area of the northern Anti Atlas.
An early spring trek exploring the mountainous saffron growing area of the Jbel Siroua at the northern end of the Anti Atlas.
This will be the fourth time that Bootlace has been drawn back to this fascinating region where terraces of saffron intermingle with subsistence crops right up into the heights, topped only by the dramatic volcanic peaks of the range, at over 3000m. As well as an option to get to the peak at 3304m (10,840ft), we pass through the berber villages sheltering in lushly irrigated valley bottoms or perching on dramatic outcrops close to their ancient fortified granaries – agadirs – which once guarded precious gold, silver and saffron. The 9 day itinerary offers:-
- A night in a stylishly modernised desert kasbah close to the World Heritage site of the fortified city of Ait Benhaddou
- A night at a beautiful and tranquil riad near the famous Jemaa el-Fna Square in the bustling city of Marrakech
- A 7 day trek with local guides and muleteers, including high quality wild camping and all food included, in the Jebl Siroua, the saffron-growing region of the Anti Atlas mountains. (Trek grading moderate to strenuous).
- A chance to visit the remote Berber villages of this area with their carpet making and spectacular agadirs (fortified granaries).
- Time to explore the fascinating city of Marrakech with its labyrinth of souks, the vibrant Jemaa el-Fna Square, the Ben Youssef Medersa and the tranquil Majorelle Gardens which house the magnificent Islamic art collection of Pierre Berge and Yves Saint Laurent
What people say - Our Moroccan guides were excellent, and the tone – curiosity, flexibility, personal responsibility, openness, mutual kindness - was set by Paul and Fiona. I had a really good time J.A. 2012. Thank you for a great trip, I thoroughly enjoyed it, great people, great team, good food and beautiful scenery. J.W. 2016
To find out more just email us using the contact form below