With Arantza Puente, a week of yoga and walking in la Alpujarra
Arantza is originally from the Basque country, northern Spain. She lived in the UK for many years and speaks excellent english. She settled in this part of Andalucia where she now co-runs yoga retreats and practices as a Thai masseur.
Arantza studied Thai massage with the Asokananda school of Thai Yoga Massage in Chiang Mai, Thailand. In London she studied Hatha yoga with Sabel Thiam until graduating as a yoga teacher with the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre in Kerala, India. She continually deepens her practice through personal study, visits to India, and with world-class teachers such as Angela Farmer, Godfrey Devereux and Sarah Powers - but perhaps the greatest influence is her love of Buddhist meditation.
Her current yoga teaching style is a dynamic form of Hatha yoga. Practice often starts with some pranayama (breathing practices), then seeks to open and invigorate body, mind and spirit in a way that can include and touch all students from beginners to experienced. The focus is more on the quality of awareness rather than just physical ability and Arantza's humour and vitality are an inspiration in themselves!
Walks are led by english-speaking guides Fiona and Paul who have lived in the Alpujarra since the 1980's and have an intimate local knowledge of the paths and by-ways. The itinerary for your group can be designed to suit your needs and desires: from high mountain adventures to gentle strolls through woods and pastures by the acequias which bring water to all corners of the region.
- an hour and a half yoga session every morning. There will be opportunities within the flow of sessions to relax or follow more active and challenging forms.
- a range of walks exploring the Alpujarra throughout the week, adapted to the abilities of the group
- delicious and healthy vegetarian food (special diets catered for) including home-made bread, fresh salads and tasty dips
- hassle-free return transfer from Malaga airport (price depending on size of group)
- an excursion to the coastal nature reserve at Cantarrijan, with an opportunity for a short walk and a meal at a chiringuito or beach restaurant (price of meal not included)
- A Freedom to Move creative dance session on Friday evening (included).