Moderately graded, middle mountain walks (with a few strenuous sections)
Our routes this week take us on the ancient mule tracks and drovers roads of the Alpujarra, a region still farmed by methods practiced for a thousand years or more and watered by Arab acequias. Small, white washed mountain villages perch like carefully crafted ivory sculptures on the dramatically terraced and green hillsides below the towering snowy peaks of the Sierra Nevada. Early spring flowers and the new buds of pyrenean oak and chestnut are breaking.
Here's the itinerary for this 8 day tour -
- Saturday - arrive in our local market town of Orgiva, welcome drink, tapas, meal and accommodation at family hotel Orgiva
- Sunday - easy/moderate - 4x4 transfer to start of walk above the village of Canar. We pass by the Tibetan Retreat Centre O Sel Ling - following a beautiful stretch of the Sulayr long distance path GR240, taking us through holm and pyrenean oak woods, along ancient acequias and crossing the impressive valley of the Poqueira in our descent to white village of Pampaneira (1060m/3477ft). Opportunity here to visit the craft shops and a typical bodega for tasting of wine and local delicacies. Transfer from here to accommodation in Capileira, one of the other three villages of the Poqueira Gorge.
- Monday - moderate walk from Capileira we take the GR7 long distance walking path from Bubion, climbing via the old camino real over the high ridge out of the Poqueira valley into the municipality of La Taha. Enjoying impressive views out over the Contraviesa mountains to the Mediterranean we follow the winding paths through holm and chestnut woods, threading our way through the network of acequias and pools that keep this high arable land fresh and green. We pass through the village of Portugos and arrive in the small market town of Pitres with its Mudejar style church and small bars set around the square - transfer back to Capileira<
- Tuesday - easy/moderate walk around the Cebadilla circuit (max/min heights 1610 and 1179m, distance 7.5km) - picnic by the river
- Wednesday - free day
- Thursday - moderate walk - transfer to Trevelez village, circular walk from here
- Friday - moderate - transfer to Mecina Fondales - descend to cross the river over the Roman bridge and head west on the GR passing through the land of famous local author Chris Stewart. Pick up in the valley where the Guadalfe and Poqueira rivers meet. Transfer to Orgiva - night here
- Saturday - depart
Accommodation: shared twin or double rooms in small family run hotels - single supplement €15 per night.What's included: accommodation, all food (except Friday supper) including picnics with home made bread and locally sourced products, walks led by guides who live in the Sierra Nevada, transport from our meeting place in Orgiva and throughout the week.
GRADING: Moderate:- Relatively easy/moderate medium-duration walks. Remembering this is a mountainous area, some hill-walking experience is useful but not necessary - but good health and reasonable fitness are important. General underfoot conditions will be fair with some steep, stoney or muddy paths. A walking day is normally five to seven hours, with around 4 hours of actual walking time over around 12km. Ascents can be up to 500m.
Walk itineraries are subject to change depending on weather conditions.